Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of 144 active cannabinoids found in cannabis plant. It is usually the primary cannabinoid found in industrial hemp and the second most prevalent cannabinoid found in cannabis plant-based drugs. Cannabidiol is found in higher concentrations in the upper third of the plant and flower buds.
Hemp with high concentrations of CBD is legally grown in many EU member states to produce fibre, seeds, leaves and flowers, which can be used to produce thousands of different products. These products include paper, insulation, bio-composites, construction materials, food, feed and pharmaceuticals.
In recent years, we have seen growing interest in the therapeutic potential of hemp derived CBD, which causes no psychotropic effects or associated side effects even when consumed in high doses. Although relatively few clinical studies have been conducted, preliminary research suggests potential therapeutic benefits in using CBD to assist with many ailments, symptoms and diseases.
Cannabinoids, including cannabidiol, are potent anti-oxidants but CBD also has anxiolytic and powerful anti-inflammatory properties. As with other cannabinoids, several CBD-type cannabinoids exist. When we talk about CBD, we mean the phenolic form. Several pharmacological effects of cannabidiolic acid (CBDa) may also be of therapeutic interest, mainly the antiemetic properties of the acid form. Among other properties, CBD has the following potential benefits:
- analgesic – relieves pain
- antibacterial – destroys and/or inhibits bacterial growth
- antidiabetic – reduces blood sugar
- antiemetic – reduces nausea and vomiting
- antiepileptic – reduces fits and seizures
- anti-inflammatory – reduces inflammation
- antiischemic – reduces the risk of clogging of the arteries
- antiproliferative – inhibits the growth of tumours and cancer cells
- antiprokinetic – reduces contractions in the small intestines
- antipsoriatic – treats psoriasis
- antipsychotic – soothes and alleviates psychosis
- antispasmodic – releases and/or suppresses muscle spasms
- anxiolytic – relieves anxiety
- bone-stimulant – promotes bone growth
- neuroprotective – protects the nervous system from degeneration
- immunosuppressive – works on the immune system